Thursday, July 8, 2010

Loving Librarians at ALA




Okay, so I'm a little belated, but I had the privilege of being a guest author at the 2010 American Library Association Conference in DC in June. What a fabulous time, getting to hang with some of my very favorite HarperCollins folks (that's Book Club Girl herself, Jennifer Hart, looking saucy in one photo), running out of galleys during my line-never-stopped-for-the-entire-signing-hour, meeting talented and lovely fellow author Emily Gray Tedrowe (do yourself a favor and go get a copy of her new novel, COMMUTERS. This is a book that actually made me wish my flight home was longer!). That's Emily in the photo with me.

But the most important thing? Meeting all these great librarians and remembering how amazingly cool libraries are and how lucky we are to have them. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by several excellent libraries in the Dayton area, but the Wright Memorial Public Library in Oakwood has a special place in my heart. The reference librarians there are my heroes and they've helped in some way on every one of my novels. I'll be doing a reading & signing there on August 15th.

Take a moment to think about your favorite library. When was the last time you visited it? Times are tough for lots of libraries—librarians are often understaffed, overworked, and underpaid. Anything you can do to help your local library? Think about it, and no matter what...make it your goal to at least take the time to thank the librarians next time you're there!

No comments:

Post a Comment