Sunday, February 1, 2009

"25 Random Things About Me"...plus one


All right, all right! I'm finally caving in and doing it! I keep getting "tagged" on FaceBook with these "25 Things" lists. I resisted for a long time because...well, don't we all have better things to do? But I have to admit, I really enjoyed reading friends' lists and discovering new things about them. So, I did it. Here it is...

1. I love fresh-ground, French-press dark coffee with cream.

2. I have a thing for vampires, and wish they were real. I used to want to be a vampire (and left my window open at night in hopes of inviting one in) because the idea of living forever was so appealing.

3. I worked my ass off for over a decade to realize my dream of being a full time writer—I now celebrate living my dream life in some way every single day.

4. I have a secret special place in my heart for zombie movies.

5. I require huge chunks of solitude.

6. I am completely missing the shopping gene...except for kitchen gadgets and books.

7. I wept with joy and relief on Election Night 2008.

8. Imagining a life without books feels like having a limb amputated.

9. I love to cook. Especially when I’m working on a novel, cooking that involves lots of chopping and stirring is especially helpful. The ideas flow when I’m busy with my hands. Baking and making soups are the most idea-generating activities I’ve found for figuring out a problem in a scene.

10. When I daydream, I’m most often designing a garden or planning new travels.

11. I adore all animals, but most prefer to live with cats. I’m fairly certain I was a cat in another life.

12. Horses are like vitamins for me. If I’m without them too long, I can feel the deficiency.

13. My family and tribe of friends are my most valued treasure.

14. I was not prepared for how much and how fiercely I would love my niece and nephew. When I met them, I could actually feel something breaking open in my heart to make room for this love. Their smiles light my life. (Yep, that's them in the photo).

15. I derive deep pleasure from dark chocolate, fresh flowers, and handwritten letters.

16. I have always wanted to learn to tango and am finally taking lessons.

17. The best advice about solo travel I ever received: when you feel afraid, make yourself laugh out loud. It works.

18. In Ghana, I once spent a night not knowing (at first) there was a goat under my bed.

19. I hate to be cold, and am very comfortable in heat and humidity that makes others complain.

20. I have frequent dreams where animals (especially my former cat Montgomery) speak to me in English.

21. I am Capricorn to my very core—stubborn, determined, tenacious. I HATE to be told what to do.

22. I’m most attracted to people who are passionate about what they do.

23. If I go too many days without writing, I get grumpy and mean.

24. I can remember conversations verbatim.

25. I sometimes let the B-train go by and wait for the next so I can keep listening to the drummers at the Broadway-Lafayette station.

26. I believe in true love, taking risks, asking for clarity, American generosity of spirit, good manners, learning all you can, practicing compassion, and savoring joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment