Friday, May 4, 2012

#309: The Avengers

 Reason to Be Happy #309:
THE AVENGERS
I grew up on Avengers stories. I loved comic books as a kid and I have fond memories of going to the Bookery in Fairborn and Dark Star in Yellow Springs to look at and buy comics. I was Marvel all the way…except for Batman. (Everybody loves Batman, right?) My favorite Avengers were Thor and the Hulk. I have a special spot in my heart for the poor misunderstood Hulk and the burden Bruce Banner bears. (I love these stories and fall into geekdom almost immediately when discussing them). I never read IronMan's individual stories until much later (his story lines were awfully adult). Loved me some Black Widow! I find the Avengers to be almost Shakespearean in their scope and story lines. So much fun. And I've been waiting for this movie ever since Agent Coulson showed up in the first IronMan movie and mentioned S.H.I.E.L.D. I remember sitting up straighter in my theatre seat, thinking, "Did he really just say S.H.I.E.L.D? Are they really going to go there? Nah, they can't possibly pull that off… can they?" And then when Tony Stark walked into the after-credits scene in The Incredible Hulk, I started to get giddy. When they started putting in all the Easter eggs, all the hints, in IronMan 2, in Thor, in Captain America, I started to get hopeful. But I never really "believed" until Marvel announced that Joss Whedon would write and direct the first assembly of The Avengers. I am in Comic Geek Nirvana!

No comments:

Post a Comment