Thursday, May 23, 2013

#394: The way peonies unfurl when they blossom

Reason to Be Happy #394:
The way peonies unfurl when they blossom
Way back in July 2011 I vowed to list a reason to be happy every single day for a full year. And I did. Because it was a Leap Year, I listed 366 reasons to be happy in a row. When I hit July 2012, I said I'd keep it going, just not daily...but then I took a long break once we hit 2013. Enough friends and readers nudged me that I brought it back. 

 Peonies are one of my favorite plants. They seem so old-fashioned and classic. They have such a short bloom time, but that makes them all the more special in my opinion—you anticipate it and relish it so that you don't miss it. Peonies cannot be taken for granted.
 I love how peony blossoms are like tight little fists that slowly begin to unclench and unfurl.
 This opening can happen in a matter of hours. Don't blink or you'll miss it.
 I'm not sure of the name of this particular type of peony but it makes me think of eggs. I call it Peonies Sunny Side Up. And they are so fragrant. These are about twenty yards from my house, but with the windows open and the breeze just right, their perfume pervades every room of my home. Ahh...

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Peonies are darling.... and now that they resemble sunny side up eggs they are even more darling.

    I wonder what a plate of eggs, decorated with some peonies beside them, would look like... You should try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. Good idea. I will definitely garnish a lovely weekend plate of eggs with peonies. Relish the beauty, right? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete